Monday, November 18, 2013

Balance: Pushing Yourself Physically and Active Rest

Hello Everyone!

This post is one that I am currently struggling with! When we push our bodies with multiple workout days during the week it can take a toll. Add on standing on your feet at work or poor footwear and your body will be aching by the end of the day and you won't have energy for your next workout. 

Although aerobic exercise can be wonderful for you and your health it can also be physically demanding. In order to get the most of your workouts it is so essential that you take time to stretch afterward or complete a yoga session throughout the week. 

I am so fortunate that my employer provides a discounted yoga class after work! I am taking full advantage of this weekly yoga session in order to relax my muscles from all of the intense exercise during the week. 

If you have ever taken a group fitness class you will know that most instructors perform a cool-down and/or stretch. Although this is a relaxing end to a class, I find that most teachers don't hold stretches as long as recommended. Stretches should be held for at least 15 seconds! But aiming for a minute is optimal for your sore muscles!

So next time you are planning a weekly workout schedule try to schedule a stretch session! Teaching our children and loved ones to stretch is wonderful as well. I often share yoga moves and simple stretches with my dad for his sore back. (But he doesn't realize he is doing yoga!) My favorite stretches are cat/cow, child's pose, and seated spinal twists for him. 

I love Doyogawithme.com and Yogaglo.com 
You can also check out Tara Stiles on Youtube for free classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!